Lately I’ve been thinking a little bit (at random hours and in a half-delirious state) about how people value different things and how it seems to evolve a little bit based on many factors – our understanding of the world around us, the circumstances God places us in, the people who influence us, etc. Sometimes we hear “values” and instantly think politics – while it encompasses that, there’s so much more to it.
On a much simpler note, here are some of the things I value today…
- quiet moments & comfortable chairs
- the second steaming mug (the one i am actually awake for!)
- this time when we measure his age in days, not yet weeks, months, years…
- thoughtful friends who show up, caring & providing, loving & praying when we need them most
- people who inspire me, through their struggles & joys, to live more fully & love Jesus more deeply
- the law of kindness upon their lips…”sweet dreams, mama” – my 1 year old son ❤
- yummy sweet treats made sugar-free (with truvia), indulging my sweet tooth without entirely sabotaging post-baby weight loss (peanut butter pie, dark chocolate no-bake bars)
- excellent, sweet poetry. loving emily dickinson and edgar guest especially, and as always. (who is your favorite poet?)
- the gift of new coral jammies (acceptable apparel until at least 3pm or so!)
What do you value today that you maybe valued less, or not at all, perhaps a year or two ago?
Sometimes I have to write down, re-evaluate, and ask the Lord what I should value. There are so many voices insisting on what should by my priority, what should be my highest values – and I need to spend less time listening to random opinions and more time listening to the Lord, and thanking Him for the gifts He has given us.