As our due date approaches, it is super easy and all-too-tempting to be anxious.
Do I have all my bags packed? What if I can’t get a hold of my husband/mom/dad/babysitter? Do I have a plan for if I go into labor in the middle of the night, on a weekend, when my husband is traveling…? What if my doctor is not on-duty or on-call, and I have that weird OB I don’t really like? What if this delivery is complicated and absurdly long and painful? What if the baby has complications with …? ETC ETC ETC…these things keep me up in the night.
And it’s in the middle of the night of anxieties and mind-racing and planning that I become acutely aware of God’s awesome sovereignty and care for me. He is intimately acquainted with every detail of my heart, body, baby, life experience, etc…everything that comes to me has passed through His hand, and whatever the details of this – our third birth story – He has written it, I will live it, and I trust will bring glory to His name in it.
I am thankful that God knows…
– the exact day and time I will go into labor
– whether my water will break or not, whether I’ll labor more at home or the hospital..
– how long labor will last, how intense it will be, how I will feel during it
– who will watch our older two, and how they will do (and how i will do being separated!)
– which doctors and nurses will be on-duty during our labor/delivery/stay
– what position the baby will be in, whether he will have any complications, etc.
– whether our baby is bald or has a full head of hair (and each one is numbered!)
– the height and weight and soul of our baby boy
– whether i will have the baby simply and naturally or with medication, etc.
– how nursing will go for us
– how long our hospital stay will be
– how long my recovery will be
– the long or short time it will take each of us to bond with baby, and he with us
“… you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.” Ecclesiastes 11:5
Thank you, Lord, that you know.
1 month(ish) to go. 🙂