Kaya’s Birthday!

Kaya Abigail’s original due date was January 15 (Uncle Sam’s birthday!). At a week late Daddy and I were both feeling frustrated and discouraged. On Monday night (January 25), it seemed as if our baby would never come. We had wrestled with the idea of being induced and were not very excited about it. We prayed about it, talked with our doctor, scheduled an induction, decided to cancel it…and before we could come to a final decision and make the call one way or another…

[Monday Night – Tuesday Morning]

Around 9 p.m., as we were watching Bear Grylls of Man vs. Wild endure the frigid, ice-capped Scottish highlands, I began having low abdominal pain and pretty intense low back pain that seemed really abnormal (and different from other contractions I had experienced that were higher, more muscular pains). We went to the store (Nels was out of Lactaid and didn’t want me to eat all the ice cream – haha) and when we got home and decided to try to go to bed I was alternating a hot rice pack on my back and stomach and really starting to writhe in pain. It soon became apparent that sleep was out of the question for the night. Before long I couldn’t sit or lay down for more than a few minutes because the pain would build. Standing, stretching, breathing exercises and walking seemed to be the only things that could ease it away or help me manage a bit.

A few hours passed and at about 4 a.m. Nels went to the store again, this time to buy some fruit for me to eat so we could rule out severe constipation as the cause of my discomfort. I was doubling over and in tears, still thinking it wasn’t labor because the pain felt different than contractions I had before. A hot shower helped me to relax a little and at 6 a.m. we called the hospital. They had my Ob-gyn contact me, who told me it was probably just pressure from the baby’s head and everything was okay as long as I was still feeling the baby moving. He said he would see me Wednesday morning for induction.

[Tuesday Afternoon/Evening]

Through the morning and early afternoon things continued to get more intense and unmanageable. I still didn’t think I was in labor, and felt that even if I was, due to lack of sleep and hours of exhausting pain I had no strength for labor or delivery.

At about 2 p.m., neither of us had slept for hours and I hadn’t been able to sit or lie down–with barely a moment to recover between gripping pain in my pelvis and back. I felt like I couldn’t bear the pain anymore, so I called and cried to my mommy J …she told me it was time to go to the hospital. Nels completely agreed and packed everything up in a whirlwind.

I gave the hospital a heads up call so labor and delivery would change our arrival time from 6:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. They gave us the ok and said to come on in and a room would be ready. Thankfully, our hospital is only about 12 minutes away. Those minutes were pretty excruciating with a couple of contractions on the highway. When we came to confirm our check in we had to wait ten minutes at the check in desk! Nels couldn’t believe that they were being so non-chalant about getting me into a delivery room! A passerby nurse came up to us and asked me if everything was ok which seemed to help signal the desk to get things moving. One of the attendants apologized for goofing things up and soon there was exciting, encouraging news. I was put in a room right away and a nurse came to check my dilation – I was at a 7 – the baby was not far away! They took all of my vitals, asked Nels lots of questions (I was sort of teary and helpless) and started an IV with some pain relief in it. Nels called to tell mom that the baby was on her way and mom was already in North Kansas City, at Armour road just a few minutes away – another huge relief! For the first time all day I was able to slow down and gather myself. The nurse (ohhhh what wonderful nurses God blessed us with!) told me I had just a few minutes to decide if I wanted an epidural or not, so Nels and mom and I prayed about it, and then joyfully accepted the blessed medical miracle. J

The process of getting the epidural was uncomfortable…needles in the spine while hunching over and holding still through contractions is a little unpleasant…and Nels thought the business only doctor with bloodstained gloves was a little rough around the edges, but afterwards, I could relax and think and enjoy the fact that we were about to welcome a little baby! I could feel and move my legs and had some pressure and shortness of breath during contractions, but it was manageable and allowed me a break to recoup and prepare for the delivery of our baby..!!!

My sister was able to come up and visit and later I saw my brother and dad while my cervix shifted from a 7 to a 9.5. I met the doctor who would help deliver the baby…I was pretty nervous about having someone besides my doctor helping us, but again, God blessed me so much. We had the coveted Dr. Mooney-Smith who was brilliantly encouraging, maternal, firm and sweet. Around 7:30 p.m. they gave me a little bump of Pitocin to help the last little bit of cervix open up, at 8:30 p.m. I felt like pushing and before long the doctor and nurses were seeing her head. With Nels holding one leg and my mom holding the other, I kept pushing and trying not to scream and cry (LOL…tried…). The doctor had to make a little cut to let the baby’s head clear, and then her strawberry-blonde head (according to the nurse) popped out and her whole little body right after it after only 30 minutes of pushing. She came out screaming and reaching up for mommy…J…when they laid her little purple body on my tummy she grabbed hold of my finger right away – it was so sweet. I barely noticed the placenta’s exit and the stitches…baby Kaya being weighed and her daddy kissing her on the forehead had all of my attention.

It was so fast, excruciating, terrible, wonderful, amazing, and blessed, that Nels and I can only say, “Praise the Lord!”  I’d love to say more but we’re off to feed baby Kaya under her tanning lightsJ Farewell and Christ’s peace!

Kaya Abigail Carlson

8:59 pm   |   1/26/2010   |   7 lbs, 9 ounces    |    20.5 inches long


7 thoughts on “Kaya’s Birthday!

  1. What a beautiful birthday story!!! I’m a little worried that you had to wait 12 days after Kaya’s due date. More and more I am finding new moms to run past their due dates. I can’t imagine Lydia not coming until March!

    Congratulations on your amazing blessing! God is so good!

  2. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story Jordan. Kaya will be so thankful to have it someday. You three are beautiful and we can’t wait to meet her! We hope you are able to get rested and healed up quickly. God Bless Your Family.

  3. Pingback: My Expressive Little Boo! « jordan cristine | a day in the life

  4. Pingback: 4 months to go… « jordan cristine | a day in the life

  5. Pingback: Hudson is HERE!! :) | jordan cristine | a day in the life

  6. Pingback: Ezra Neal: a birth story | jordan cristine | a day in the life

  7. Pingback: Aspen’s Birth Story | resplendent soul

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s